Friday, March 9, 2012

One Page at a Time

I have the sweetest students.  Today the kids went to the library to check out books.  Once they’ve checked out the books they want, the librarian sends them back to the classroom and the kids filter in a few a time.  During the time we are waiting for the rest of the class to join us, I allow them to silent read on the floor.  

When I realized that all my students returned from the library I asked the class to find a good stopping point in their book and walk back to their desks.  After some time I noticed that one of my students (one who always follows directions) was still on the floor reading.

I was a little stern with her for not following directions and proceeded to ask her why she was still on the floor. She responded in probably the sweetest voice I’ve ever heard, “I’m so worried about the character in my book and I want to find out if she’s going to be alright.”  

I let her finish the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment