Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I Think I Misunderstood You

I love my students.  They continually make me laugh on a daily basis and truly make me love my job. 

Today the students came back from Art class and the first few students ran to their desks and I heard a cacophony of, “I’m first” and “No, I was first.”

I made the general comment to those filtering in after, “You guys are so competitive.”  Once the students were settled, one of my girls raised her hand and asked in a sad voice, “Did you say we were pathetic?”

I was so worried that she misheard what I said and clarified, “No!  I said COMPETITIVE,” I re-enunciated the word, “COMPETITIVE.  Not pathetic.”  Then she sighed a relief and smiled and we all had a good laugh.

I’m so glad she said something to me, though. Can you imagine if she went home and told her parents that I called the kids pathetic?  Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment