Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I Can't Believe I Do This


Have you ever said to yourself, I can’t believe this is part of my job description?  Keep in mind, the thing that you’re doing is probably not really listed in your contract, but it is something that’s part of your job that you may be required to do.  Things like:
  • Picking up barf.  Ew.  I usually call maintenance to assist in that area, and it’s another reason why I teach older kiddos because it doesn’t happen as much.  In fact, I tell my students if they get that feeling, they have permission to run out of the classroom to take care of business.  
  • Pulling out teeth - Unless you are a teacher, a dentist, or work in a retirement facility, you may not be able to relate.  I can’t count the number of times I’ve been asked, “Is my tooth ready to come out yet?”
  • Watching cartoons - Yes, you read that correctly.  I think it’s important to watch some of the same things that you’re students are watching.  That way in class, you can use Spongebob as an example in English, and your students are all ears!  (I will discuss this in another blog so stay tuned.)
  • Sitting on the floor “crisscross applesauce” - No explanation needed, you all know what I mean.
  • Figuring who signed a note to me signed “love, your secret admirer”
  • Coloring - Yes coloring is part of my job description.  When the kids have a project they’re working on, of course you need to make a sample.  There will be times when I’m sitting at my desk, coloring, and I think to myself I can’t believe this is part of my job description!

No comments:

Post a Comment