Saturday, January 14, 2012

Let's Play a Game!


Sometimes we like to play a game called “Stump the Teacher.”  The point of the game is to see if the kids can find a word in the dictionary that I can’t spell.  If they “stump the teacher,” they get a reward ticket.  If not, someone else gets a chance.

Sometimes I get a little nervous when playing this game because you never know what “interesting” words the kids are going to find.
So the kids gave me words like circumlocution, deliberation, procurator, and nominee.  We had time for one more word and I called on the last student.   She looked down at her dictionary, took a second to use the pronunciation key to help her out, and said, “Spell masochism.”

Inside my head I started screaming, “oh my gosh.”  This sweet, innocent girl had NO idea what this word means, nor did she read the definition (thank God).  So I wrote it quickly on the board (I spelled it correctly, yay me), then quickly erased it and said, “OK, that’s all the time we have for this activity, let’s move on.”

We won’t be playing that game anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment